Many of you may remember from last year how badly Rhett reacts to mosquito bites. Well, with all the water we have had on the ground around here, the "skeeters" have been AWFUL! And let me tell you, some of those suckers are as big as hummingbirds!LOL! Anyways, yesterday Rhett got into what looks like a swarm of them and they ate his little face and left ear up. One bite in particular was right around his eye. When he woke up this morning, it was a little swollen but nothing bad. However, it seemed to get more swollen as the day went on and his ear started swelling more, too. This is what the poor fellow looked like when he woke up from his nap:

Can you say "OH MY GOSH?!" (Brandon said he looked like he got in a fight with a baseball bat...And lost!) Needless to say, I called the doctor and he told me to bring him in. A visit with Dr. Anderson, a $20 copay, and a dose of Zyrtec later he looked like this:
I still can't believe how fast that stuff worked to bring the swelling and redness down. The bad thing is, there's nothing we can do about how he reacts to them except try to prevent them. Easier said than done in the boonies of South Georgia...Can I get an Amen?!LOL! Dr. Anderson said that he should eventually grow out of the hypersensitivity that he has for them, but until then there's nothing we can do.
The good news was that they didn't seem to bother him very much other than itching a little, so he was his normal self all day. This is what our morning started out like:

It got better though, and we worked on potty training a bit more. He had one poo-poo in the potty, one tee-tee outside (his favorite, by the way!LOL!), and one accident so I'd say that's a pretty darn good day!

Poor baby! Glad he feels better now. :)
ReplyDeleteOH MY!!!! Little fella needs some serious bug repellant!! You know when them little skeeters bite me I whelp up and swell also, and itch like crazy!! Not as much as Rhett, poor little guy....Did the Dr give you any stuff that would keep them off of him?? Just wondering....you all have WAY more bugs and skeeters in Ga. need to find something that works good!! I LOVE all the pics and updates and we LOVE all of you. Jamie said Rhett looks like Rocky!!!! In a nice way of course!! Do you remember the little black poodle we had when you were little?? Pictures of you and him on the blanket outside?? Anyway, his name was Peppy.....so I think I will name this new one after him. I didn't mean for this to get so long....ALL OUR LOVE from South Carolina....M.B.
ReplyDelete